POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use : Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 25 May 2004 14:17:11
Message: <40b38da4@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I was just wondering which operating system(s) you use in concocting your
traces?

It seems that Windows has nicer programs (Moray for example) for designing
scenes, but is not so hot on high-demand traces (big operating system
memory/cpu time footprint - you cannot "switch off" the GUI). In
comparison, Linux seems to offer more CPU cycles (run it in text mode for
tracing, kill processes you don't need) and more stability (I've seen Linux
systems stay up for weeks under a heavy PovRay load).

What do you use? It seems to me the best combination is design in Windows,
final render in Linux. Anybody else do it this way? Do most guys who use
UNIX/Linux for design and final rendering use an editor only to design, or
which modelling programs do you prefer on UNIX/Linux for PovRay?

I've had frequent problems using PovRay 3.5 under Win98SE and have regularly
left an overnight trace running only to check in the morning and find that
Windows had crashed. Are the newer Windows operating systems more stable
for POV?

Thanks!
--
Stefan Viljoen